Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Learning

Learning how to teach, speak, understand, love, cope, encourage, listen...everything we must be willing to do in our lives if we are to bring joy to others and ultimately find any type of meaning and purpose for our lives.

"No one shall be forgotten who was great in this world; but everyone was great in his own way, and everyone in proportion to the greatness of what he loved." -Kirkegaard, Fear and Trembling

I love my students. I love living in France. I love my boyfriend. I love my family. I love teaching. I love to travel. I love to learn new things. I love listening to my tea kettle boil water as I sit here and type a blog that I know will not come out in complete thoughts; but I hope to be an encouragement and inspiration to all who read this emphasizing that I have certainly not been devoid of challenges, frustrations, tears, misunderstandings, cultural & language problems, distance issues, etc. However, I have found myself in a place that as I come home to my little studio every night gives me the opportunity to absorb everything I've learned and share it with all of you. And while I may fall, disappoint or confuse, am willing to be vulnerable about the realities we are all facing (even more specifically recent university graduates) and the hope we have in a faith and community that are waiting for us to embrace them.

With that said, I suppose you'd like to know what my life looks like at the moment. Well, let me begin with - I'm going to Istanbul, Turkey! That's right, I bought Ben the most fabulous Christmas present ever, a trip for two to Istanbul! We leave the day after Christmas, and will be picked up at the airport by the driver of the Turkish family who runs a hostel with a view of the ocean and the Hagia Sophia. I kid you not! Needless to say, not only am I excited to see him in 23 days, but I am excited to see a part of the world I never thought I'd get to experience!

My day to day life in the city is busy, somewhat routine, but always different. I teach 12 hours a week with a one-hour commute on the metro, babysit 15 hours a week, and in my spare time go to the movies, talk to Ben on Skype, read, and waste time watching Gilmore Girls episodes. My classes are finally somewhat routine, and most of them I get on my own in my very own classroom. I have some of the friendliest, frustrating, hilarious, and all around decent students at lycée Gustave Eiffel. With a high school of mostly boys I've found myself quite popular. There isn't a day that goes by where someone in the hallway doesn't shout "Madame! Good afternoon! 'ello! 'ow are you?" It's quite touching and makes up for the annoying ones that chatter the whole time when I'm trying to speak (even when I reprimand them in French.)

Babysitting is great and this evening Juliette told me that I am the best "nounou" (nanny) in the world, and the nicest American as well. I'm pretty sure she hasn't met that many Americans, but what the heck, who can complain about love and kisses from an adorable little 4-year-old French girl? I'm so glad to have the opportunity to make extra money, speak French and befriend a little girl who I hope will not forget me when she gets older.

Christmas is coming! I can see it everywhere in this commercial & historical place I currently call home. The lights are on, the markets are starting, and the kids choir is singing in church! Just when I think I don't know very many people here I am blessed with an introduction by a British woman with whom I've been sitting in the same pew for several weeks now. She and her husband (who sings in the choir) are expecting their first baby and were very kind to stay after and chat with me. Little blessings this this do not go unappreciated here.

Well, I'll close for now; I wish I could transport you all here to experience my life in Paris instead of just read about it, mais, je vous souhaite une bonne semaine et une joyeux Thanksgiving! Keep me in your prayers as I will keep you in mine. *gros bisous*

No comments: