Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Parisian Engagement

It's Christmas Day, my fiancé is sleeping due to being unfortunately ill, so I assumed that since many of you are wanting to hear the story I would make an attempt to tell it. :)

By Saturday, December 20th, Ben and I had already seen Montmartre, climbed the Sacré Coeur, took pictures in front of the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and many other classic tourist monuments in my favorite city, but he had yet to walk down the Champs-Elysée at night with the lights and Christmas markets along the streets.
....did I forget to mention I HATE tourists? Why on earth would you bring your infant in a stroller to a city like this at Christmas? They are never going to remember it, and are only going to make anxious people like myself angry because you're pushing me off of the sidewalk. Needless to say, even after a Belgian Gaufre covered in cherries, chocolate, and whipped cream, I was a little frustrated at the crowds. So Ben, as his usual calm self, pulled us off the main drag and towards the Elysée Palace - where Président Sarkozy lives. We admired his large, gold gate and wondered what him and Carla were eating for dinner. After some calming down and a walk through the other lovebirds on benches and under streetlights, we got in line for the ferris wheel ("La grande roue"). Only up for holidays, I had never ridden it before in all my time spent in France. So we paid our 9€ each like good tourists, hopped in with a French family and an Asian couple and got a panoramic view of the city. 2 spins and you're out!

We then walked towards the decked-out-in-snazzy-Christmas lights Place Vendome and I admired the insane amounts of jewelry in stores such as Chanel, Dior, Cartier etc. as we walked arm and arm in the chilly, but pleasant evening weather. Unsure as to what to do next, Ben suggested that we eat at the restaurant I had discovered on a walk several weeks ago and wanted to try. I had mentioned it looked cozy, romantic and had a decent menu....and so we went. It was indeed cozy, romantic, and off the beaten trail of Saint-André-Des-Arts, and most of the people eating there were French...which is always a good sign. :) I ordered for us and we enjoyed our meal (and one of our few rare dates!) at La Jacobine. During the meal Ben asked me what my favorite spot in the city was, and I really couldn't give a definitive answer, but I said that during my very first trip to Paris with Megan Waters (now Megan Lynch), we walked along the Seine at night and it was one of my favorite Paris memories.

Upon leaving, we held out for dessert at a crêpe stand for Ben and Italian gelato for me, and in between bites of my insanely delicious chocolate sensation I asked, "Now what should we do? Want to ride one of the boats along the Seine?" He hesitated but suggested we walk that direction anyway. We approached the river and came upon Pont Des Arts...a bridge where no cars can cross and people bring food and wine and often have a picnic. We walked about halfway and stood there holding each other for warmth while admiring the river and city of lights. Once a group of tourists had passed and there weren't many people around us he began to tell me a million wonderful things about me and how much he loves me. It was then I realized....it was time. Before I knew it he was on his knee, I was crying, and the Eiffel Tower had begun to sparkle on the hour. A couple of girls who were getting a little tipsy on a bench nearby began to shout and applaud, and I was placing a GORGEOUS ring on my finger. Yes, it was perfect.

I am now a fiancée in Paris, leaving for a trip to Istanbul, Turkey tomorrow, and on August 29, 2009....will be a bride.

1 comment:

Margie Fisher said...

Ahhh, how romantic!! And, written so well.....like out of a movie!! Have a wonderful time in Istanbul! Can't wait to see pictures!!